Re: Enabling compiler warning flags

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: Enabling compiler warning flags
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:21:47 -0500

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Bob Friesenhahn
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>>
>> Yes, my bad. Address Sanitizer should be enabled for debug
>> configurations by default (along with other "program diagnostics" to
>> borrow from Posix).
>
> What is a "debug configuration"?
Full debug instrumentation, including program diagnostics.

> The Autoconf default is to enable debugging
> symbols with GCC (-g) so the default supports debugging.
-g just gets you symbols. Its helpful, but not as good as a debug
build for debugging purposes during development.

Opposed to debug is the "release configuration." The release
configuration is used in production. The auto tools would define
NDEBUG (per Posix), and remove debugging aides and other diagnostics.

You also have a "test configuration." This configuration looks a lot
like a release build. The key difference is protected and private
stuff (for example, a C++ function or a Java method) are made public
for testing. In this build, you would run your positive and negative
suites to provide a heuristic validation.

> I am curious if this ThreadSanitizer extension will work with the normal
> build of GCC GOMP (for OpenMP) on GNU/Linux.
I was wondering about that myself. I don't build GCC from sources (it
was too frustrating), so I'll have to wait for it to show up in Fedora
for testing.

Jeff