How does one configure in directories with special characters in them?

From: Jeff Johnston
Subject: How does one configure in directories with special characters in them?
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:45:54 -0400

Hello,

I am running on Linux (Fedora 17 to be exact) and have a directory called: /home/jjohnstn/runtime-NewConfiguration(2)/hello

The directory was generated by Eclipse as a workspace directory. It defaults the name each time and adds numerics if the default name is already in use.

What is happening is that I have a simple configure.ac for a hello world program:

dnl Process this file with autoconf to produce a configure script.

AC_PREREQ(2.59)
AC_INIT(hello, 1.0)

AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE()

AC_PROG_CC

AC_CONFIG_FILES(Makefile src/Makefile)
AC_OUTPUT

When I try to configure it, there is a generated call to "missing" and the call adds the directory name it has calculated but it fails because the () chars are not escaped. This occurs whether I change to the directory and run it as ./configure or whether I specify an absolute directory and escape the () chars myself.

Is there a way for me to get around this or this is simply a bug?

I am using autoconf 2.68

Thanks,

-- Jeff J.