Re: Configure for non-gcc compiler

From: A.P. Horst
Subject: Re: Configure for non-gcc compiler
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 10:24:59 +0200

On 18-4-2013 21:23, Eric Blake wrote:
Using AC_PROG_CC without arguments already provides your configure
script with a rather long list of compiler names to try, but it you are
absolutely certain that you want to make an even longer list of default
compiler names to try by default, you can call AC_PROG_CC([gcc cc ...])
to populate the list with your set of default names.
And here I was thinking this was only to change the default order.
Now I tried this and what I was afraid of is also happening: AC_PROG_CC tries all kinds of things the compiler doesn't understand. It gets a long way but then fails with 'cannot compute suffix of object files' because the compiler doesn't understand the option '-c'. Do you think it is viable (or even possible) of modifying AC_PROG_CC to my specific needs? Or should I write a custom macro mimicking AC_PROG_CC as an exception for this compiler? I know this violates the philosophy behind autotools, but I see no other way when dealing with embedded targets.