Re: Looking for an installed font

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Looking for an installed font
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 14:45:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013, Andreas Röver wrote:

Hello,

I've written a game that uses FreeSans as the font for displaying its
text.

I do not want to include that font in the distribution of the game but
rather use a the font file normally installed on the system. For that I
want to check in configure whether the font file is available in the
system and display an error message or warning if it is missing.

How could I do that? Is there anything provided in autoconf for that
problem? I think it might be good enough to see if the file is on the
filesystem but the problem is that the position is not standardized. Is
there any nice way to use 'find' or anything else to look into the
subdirectories of /usr/share/fonts for this?

It seems that the standard way to do this is via libfontconfig which is available on all free OSs. The actual font installation locations vary across systems.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn