run configure on different machines

From: A.P. Horst
Subject: run configure on different machines
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 14:17:43 +0200

Hello,

for several projects we use autoconf for configuration and checking. Now a colleague of mine checked out one of these projects, tried to configure it (seemingly succeeded), but the build failed. It turns out that config.h generated by configure is full of #undef [something]. Nothing is defined, not even PACKAGE. In fact, there is also an #undef PACKAGE.
How can this be? Isn't configure supposed to work across machines?
The problem got solved by him running autoreconf -i. But I do not think this is how it is supposed to be.

Arie