Re: Best practice sharing autotest macros

From: Luke Mewburn
Subject: Re: Best practice sharing autotest macros
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 19:24:59 +1100

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 10:02:02AM -0700, Eric Blake wrote:
  | On 11/28/2013 08:32 PM, Luke Mewburn wrote:
  | > I've got a few autotest macros that are used across various projects,
  | > and I'm looking for advice regardard the best practice in how to
  | > share these between the projects.  Currently I just cut and paste
  | > our autotest macros to the project's local.at.
  | >
  | > For autoconf macros, common macros are used by storing them in a common
  | > /path and with ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I/path in the top-level Makefile.am,
  | > and aclocal automagically finds the macro definition.
  | >
  | > I have considered a shared /path and passing -I/path to autom4te,
  | > which requires an explicit  m4_include([foo.m4])  to bring in the
  | > definition, because autom4te doesn't appear to do the same automagic
  | > macro finding that aclocal does.
  |
  | Sounds reasonable to me.
  |

  | > Do people have any advice, better suggestions, etc?
  |
  | Sorry, none from me - but do feel free to post what works for you, so we
  | have it in the archives.

What I've found works so far is:

1. Install the .m4 files containing my autotest macros into a common
   location (e.g /usr/local/share/aclocal).

2. In tests/local.at, explicitly m4_include([...]) my macro files
   by relative filename.

3. Add -I/usr/local/share/aclocal to the $(AUTOMATE) invocation for
   the $(TESTSUITE) rule in tests/Makefile.am.

regards,
Luke.