Re: parallelized configure

From: Alexander Holler
Subject: Re: parallelized configure
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 20:42:01 +0100

Am 14.01.2014 20:24, schrieb Eric Blake:
On 01/14/2014 12:13 PM, Alexander Holler wrote:
Am 14.01.2014 16:44, schrieb Eric Blake:
On 01/14/2014 05:56 AM, Alexander Holler wrote:
Hello,

I've seen there was some discussion about parallelizing configure in
2011 which seems to have come up through a talk at fosdem 2011 I've
missed: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2011-02/msg00036.html

Because in most of todays build processes configure is one of the few
parts which still don't take advantages through multiple processors, I
want to ask if there has been some progress on that topic?

No one has come forth with patches, and the problem is a lot trickier
than you would think.  I'm not holding my breath for this to happen any
time soon.

How do you know what I would think?

Until you post patches for us to pick apart, we don't.  But the fact
that you are posting a request, rather than a patch, is relatively
decent evidence that you are aware that it is tough enough that you
aren't appearing to volunteer for the job.

Hmm, I'm no native english speaker, but it shouldn't have sounded like a request. I'm pretty aware how open/free source works and wouldn't request anything from any free project.

I just was curious if there was some progress on that topic besides what Ralf Wildenhues seemed to have tried out.

But you right with your assumption that I won't volunteer, but I assume it's still ok to ask nevertheless.

Regards,

Alexander Holler