Re: Using $program_transform_name from ‘configure’

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: Using $program_transform_name from ‘configure’
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 11:57:17 -0400

On 2014-04-24 06:41 -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 04/24/2014 03:54 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > Yeah I realized we can easily do that in Makefile.am (and we already
> > did for another script), so I took that route:
> >

> > http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=d80b6acf198dddc90eba40a83de36b65ddf9f0ac
>
> Yay, glad we found a solution.
>
> Useless use of cat:
>
> > + cat $(srcdir)/guild.in \
> > + | $(SED) -e "s,@installed_guile@,$$guile,g" \
>
> could be simplified to pass the input file directly as sed's stdin,
> rather than through a pipe, as in:
>
> $(SED) < $(srcdir)/guild.in -e ...

For the record, this is more than just a simplification.  The
useless use of cat was a real bug.  In the event of an error
reading the input file, the pattern

  cat input | sed ... > output

pattern will ignore the problem (probably producing an empty
output file).

Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)