Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 08:53:01 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014, Kip Warner wrote:

Unfortunately I need spaces on GNU systems and possibly elsewhere. I'm
sure there is a way to do this and it's simply a matter of coalescing
parts of the argument vector. From what I can see configure has the
correct arguments, but some were accidentally split. Remember that the
arguments are already correctly escaped and if I run what was logged in
config.log, it runs fine with the spaces.

The problem is that configure is a huge shell script and any arguments passed to subordinate utilities need to be escaped properly to avoid accidental splitting. There is also the problem that 'make' automatically splits on white space and there is no portable way to make it not do that.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn