Is it possible to include variables for installation paths in atconfig?

From: Simon Sobisch
Subject: Is it possible to include variables for installation paths in atconfig? [installcheck target]
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 21:50:05 +0100

Background:
I'm on the way to add the installcheck target to GnuCOBOL which uses
autotools. The testsuite generated by autoconf does source atconfig
(directly generated from config.status) and atlocal (from atlocal.in).

The generated testsuite uses variables which are setup in atlocal,
therefore I'd just run the testsuite in the installcheck-local target
but prefix it with a variable, check this variable in atlocal and adjust
the variables that are setup for the testsuite to not use
{abs_top_builddir} and {abs_top_srcdir} (both from atconfig) but a
variant that points to the destination directories.
[as make installcheck should also work if ]

Question: Is there an option to extend the entries in atconfig?
If not -D o you see a better option of passing the installation
options[1] to atlocal then to AC_SUBST them?

Thank you for your feedback (and response to this mail in addition to
the mailing list),
Simon

[1]: relevant installation options needed to be passed (all other
installation paths / options are hard-wired into the
not-yet-relocatable, not-yet-reproducible binaries)

  --bindir=DIR            user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
  --libdir=DIR            object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
  --program-prefix=PREFIX      prepend PREFIX to installed program names
  --program-suffix=SUFFIX      append SUFFIX to installed program names
  --program-transform-name=PROGRAM   run sed PROGRAM on installed
program name

Coming to think of this - actually I'd only need the final name of the
installed binaries (2-3) [but would have no idea how to get those
directly] and libdir (to setup LD_LIBRARY_PATH).