Re: Is it possible to include variables for installation paths in atconf

From: Simon Sobisch
Subject: Re: Is it possible to include variables for installation paths in atconfig? [installcheck target]
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 13:17:05 +0200

As there was no feedback / best-practices I hereby declare the answer to
be "no" and the following solution as best practice instead:

0. if not added already: add a pre-inst-env script, created by
AC_CONFIG_FILES like automake does [1], providing an option to run the
non-installed binaries
1. duplicate it using the target directories this time, creating a
script post-inst-env which sets environment and an exported variable
$package_ENV_SETUP=1
2. as outlined below: add an installcheck-local target in
tests/Makefile.am calling the testsuite after using the post-inst-env script

simplified diff:

 check-local: $(TESTSUITE)
        @$(TESTSUITE) $(TESTSUITEFLAGS)
+
+installcheck-local: $(abs_top_builddir)/post-inst-env $(TESTSUITE)
+       $(abs_top_builddir)/post-inst-env  @$(TESTSUITE) $(TESTSUITEFLAGS)

3. adjust tests/atlocal.in to check $package_ENV_SETUP and skip whatever
the options that would conflict with post-inst-env

I'd still appreciate feedback if this should be handled different.

[1]: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/automake.git/tree/pre-inst-env.in