Re: No macro for C11/C18?

From: Andrew W. Nosenko
Subject: Re: No macro for C11/C18?
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 17:48:08 +0200

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 9:48 PM Nick Bowler <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 1/24/20, Christian Biesinger <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I noticed that autoconf has a macro to enable C99 (AC_PROG_CC_C99),
> > but apparently no such macro for C11 or C18. I was wondering if a
> > patch for that would be acceptable in principle or if this is missing
> > intentionally?
>
> In autoconf master, the AC_PROG_CC_C99 macro is deprecated and no longer
> recommended for use.
>
> AC_PROG_CC now tries to select the highest language revision supported
> by the compiler.

These macros (AC_PROG_CC_C99 vs. new AC_PROG_CC) have different semantics.
AC_PROG_CC_C99 — select best/prefered compiler that supports particular
standard (c99), while
new AC_PROG_CC — select best/most recent standard supported by particular
compiler.

So deprecating one in favour of another is quite like deprecating apples in
favour of oranges.

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <address@hidden>