Re: Please help wordsmith NEWS entry warning about AC_REQUIRE inside she

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Please help wordsmith NEWS entry warning about AC_REQUIRE inside shell conditional
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 09:37:56 -0700

The wording all looks clear, except:

On 7/12/20 8:37 AM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
      The only macros that are guaranteed *not* to
      use AC_REQUIRE are the macros for acting on the results of a
      test: AC_DEFINE, AC_SUBST, AC_MSG_*, AC_CACHE_CHECK, etc.

This sentence is too broad. It applies only to AC_* macros, and not to AS_IF etc. So I suggest changing "The only macros" to "The only AC_* macros".

Also, it's not clear to me which AC_* macros are safe from this brief description. For example, surely AC_CHECK_HEADERS is safe, but it both does a test and acts on the results of a test so is it OK? So more guidance is needed here.

Perhaps the documentation should list the safe macros, though of course this would be more work.