Re: Autoconf version number after 2.70

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Autoconf version number after 2.70
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 14:52:50 -0800

On 1/4/21 1:45 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:

it sounds like your concern is not so much with a three-part
_numbering scheme_, but with the possiblity that we might put out
2.70.n _after_ 2.71.  What if we say that, at least for the time being
(until some hypothetical future where the project has a lot more
resources) we won’t do that?

In that case the two numbering schemes are functionally equivalent, and it becomes almost entirely a marketing issue.

I tested that script, and it correctly handles three-part version
numbers reported by autoconf.  It will need to be changed if Emacs
decides to _require_ a three-part autoconf version

... and at that point the proposed numbering scheme will be more hassle for Emacs developers than if Autoconf had stuck with the current scheme, because they'll have to alter the code in autogen.sh instead of merely changing AC_PREREQ(2.65) to AC_PREREQ(2.73) in configure.ac.

Anyway, it's not a big deal either way, and if you feel strongly about it then you're doing the work so you should get to decide.