Re: Confusing behavior with autoreconf and gettext in the openzfs projec

From: Eli Schwartz
Subject: Re: Confusing behavior with autoreconf and gettext in the openzfs project
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 18:29:34 -0500

On 1/4/21 5:42 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
However, the "AM_GNU_GETTEXT is used, but not
AM_GNU_GETTEXT_(REQUIRE_)VERSION” diagnostic _did_ get promoted from a
warning to an error in 2.70.  This changed because of an unrelated bug
fix: this particular diagnostic has always been issued via the
"Autom4te" library function error(), and calls to that function are
_supposed_ to make the calling process continue running but, when it
does eventually exit, report a failure to the parent process.  The
code to report the failure had been left out, which we discovered when
working on something else.

Thanks for the insight!

autoreconf itself only wants AM_GNU_GETTEXT_(REQUIRE_)VERSION to be in
configure.ac; it detects AM_GNU_GETTEXT by tracing m4 macro
invocations, and can find it whereever it is.

However, once you have AM_GNU_GETTEXT_REQUIRE_VERSION in configure.ac,
then autoreconf thinks it _does_ need to run autopoint, and
*autopoint* doesn't know it can use traces to detect AM_GNU_GETTEXT,
and so you _do_ need to have both of them directly in configure.ac.

I think what this project actually wants, at least for right now, is
to not run autopoint.  To make that possible again, I have demoted the
"AM_GNU_GETTEXT is used, but not
AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION" message to a warning.  The fix is on
development trunk as commit 66fdaea3cfb4e758212c1891913e9a59441d49af,
and the 2.70 branch as 35b1708c3961dce31e4ce43014e71d77aa4b5e31.  It
will be included in the bug-fix release coming out some time this
week.

Hmm, so if I understand correctly, then if you do want to run autopoint and copy the system gettext.m4 etc in place... then you will need both macros to be in (promoted to) configure.ac ?

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User