Re: AC_INIT produces unexpected "PACKAGE" and "VERSION" strings in confi

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: AC_INIT produces unexpected "PACKAGE" and "VERSION" strings in config.h
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 19:33:07 -0600 (CST)

I am now able to answer my own question. The new form of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE adds this unwanted stuff if one does not pass no-define as another option:

"By default this macro AC_DEFINE’s PACKAGE and VERSION. This can be avoided by passing the no-define option (see List of Automake options)"

I am not sure what the value of adding another redundant definition is but it seems that is what Automake decided to do.

The problem is that I have a subordinate package which also uses VERSION but the definition is not the same.

Bob