Autoconf/Automake is not using version from AC_INIT

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Autoconf/Automake is not using version from AC_INIT
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 18:35:59 -0600 (CST)

I recently updated GraphicsMagick to use the 5 argument form of AC_INIT and the one argument form of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE. I also used m4_esyscmd to get version info from an external script. The invokation looks like this:

AC_INIT(m4_esyscmd([./version.sh packagename]),
        m4_esyscmd([./version.sh packageversion]),
        m4_esyscmd([./version.sh packagebugreport]),
        m4_esyscmd([./version.sh packagetarname]),
        m4_esyscmd([./version.sh packageurl]))

Today I noticed that 'make dist' is producing the wrong tarball package version. Instead of producing the expected version, the tarball version matches the date of the configure.ac file.

This is what comes out of the version.sh script:

./version.sh packageversion
1.4.020210110%

The version.sh script bases the package version on the most recent entry in the ChangeLog file.

This is what is claimed to be the tarball version several times already:

  GraphicsMagick-1.4.020210106.tar.gz

This is the timestamp on the Autotools files which appear to reflect the claimed version:

% ls -lg configure.ac Makefile.am configure
-rw-r--r--   1 home       12435 Jan  6 11:42 Makefile.am
-rwxr-xr-x   1 home      987623 Jan  6 11:48 configure*
-rw-r--r--   1 home      122830 Jan  6 11:42 configure.ac

What is the trick to ensuring that autoconf and Automake do use the version supplied to AC_INIT? It seems that now the configure script needs to be re-generated but nothing seems to force that.

Looking at Autoconf itself, I see dreadful looking things such as an extra GNUmakefile and targets which create hidden files which go into the tarball. If this sort of thing is necessary, then I will revert my few days of work.

Thanks,

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn