Re: Autoconf/Automake is not using version from AC_INIT

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Autoconf/Automake is not using version from AC_INIT
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 08:09:09 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021, Peter Johansson wrote:

I suspect it would be possible to solve by splitting the timestamps into two different files. One is the VERSION file determining when autoconf needs to be run and a timestamp file determines when the version.sh script needs be run. Something like:

That is interesting, and perhaps something I may try when I have the time.

In the mean time I am using this simple solution, which works because I know what version.sh uses to produce its version (data from itself, and from ChangeLog). I added this to configure.ac:

  AC_SUBST([CONFIGURE_DEPENDENCIES],["$CONFIGURE_DEPENDENCIES
    \$(top_srcdir)/ChangeLog \$(top_srcdir)/version.sh"])

Since the two files always exist, there is no intermediate stuff to generate.

I was previously using something similar, but just for config.status:

  AC_SUBST([CONFIG_STATUS_DEPENDENCIES],['$(top_srcdir)/ChangeLog
    $(top_srcdir)/version.sh'])

If the version stamp info came from git or hg, then intermediate generated files would surely be required.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/