Re: Future plans for Autotools

From: Kip Warner
Subject: Re: Future plans for Autotools
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 17:18:22 -0800

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 17:15 -0500, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> As a starting point, I wrote up a "strengths, weaknesses,
> opportunities, and threats" analysis for Autotools -- this is a
> standard project management technique, if you're not familiar with
> it, there's a nice writeup in the draft of the book my friend and
> colleague Sumana Harihareswara is writing [
> https://changeset.nyc/resources/getting-unstuck-sampler-offer.html ].

Thank you for sharing, Zack (and Sumana). This looks very thoughtful
and worth all of us reading at some point.

I for one have no intention of migrating away from the Autotools for
any of my projects. My personal experience is that every time someone
tries to develop a replacement, they tend to reinvent it and in a
poorer way.

--
Kip Warner -- Senior Software Engineer
OpenPGP signed/encrypted mail preferred