Re: Future plans for Autotools

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Future plans for Autotools
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 16:26:49 -0700

>  One is that perhaps autoconf, automake, and libtool (but see below)
>  should be combined into a single project.  This would help eliminate the
>  coordination problem.

John> I personally love the idea of combining the projects so we no
John> longer have these inter-project release issues, and so we can get
John> more cross-project features in place with less in-fighting - or
John> more to what really happens: less just plain ignoring requests
John> that involve other projects because of lack of control or ego
John> issues.

One thing that would be nice about a unification is that, eventually,
there could be a single tool called "autoconf" that would replace all
the various front-ends: autoconf, aclocal, automake, autoreconf, and the
typical "bootstrap" or whatever that a lot of projects write.

John> I also like the idea of moving to GNU make. I feel like we'd be
John> able to do a lot of stream- lining with such a change - removing
John> old crufty stuff designed only to service standard make
John> deficiencies. Another good reason for this was also mentioned
John> earlier - the make code that automake generates could be much more
John> efficient and performant.

I think it would be good.  I'm curious if it is known to be faster or if
that's just an expectation.  I'd also be very interested to learn which
changes would make the result faster.  That said, speed of the 'make'
step itself has rarely seemed important to me.

Tom