Re: On time64 and Large File Support

From: Andreas K. Huettel
Subject: Re: On time64 and Large File Support
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 10:40:35 +0100

> > Proposal: glibc gains two new build-time configure options:
> > * --enable-hard-time64
> > * --enable-hard-lfs
>
> We should define new target triplets for this if it's really required.

That doesn't really help anyone *but* Debian ...

> We need to support legacy binaries on i386.  Few libraries are
> explicitly dual-ABI.  Whether it's safe to switch libraries above
> glibc to LFS or time64 needs to be evaluated on a per-library
> basis.  For most distributions, no one is going to do that work,
> and we have to stick to whathever we are building today.

... since for Debian the libraries with different ABI end up in different
multiarch paths then.

Anyone with a more, ahem, standard filesystem arrangement has to find
a different solution for the problem of legacy binaries.

--
Andreas K. Hüttel
dilfridge@gentoo.org