Re: Possible regressions with trunk autoconf (vs 2.71)

From: Sam James
Subject: Re: Possible regressions with trunk autoconf (vs 2.71)
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 15:26:20 +0000

> On 16 Nov 2022, at 09:06, Frederic Berat <fberat@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hello again,
>
> Some progress on this, it looks like, at least for libpng, there is at one
> place where the "Port AC_LANG_CALL" seems to be the culprit.
> Specifically, the "," in the C comment, is interpreted by M4 as argument
> split which in turn leads to the syntax error.
> I made a small test where I  "overquote" the snippet, which seems to work
> around the problem for this package at least, but there may be better
> solutions:

I did notice this issue but when I investigated the broken packages,
they were underquoting by the looks of it:
-
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/sys-devel/autoconf?id=855f1f72f42c2f9b5ed97220e3ced97a35aa075b
- https://bugs.gentoo.org/871753

But it's very possible that, as you note, autoconf itself
has a problem and it was just bad luck wrt which packages
broke first.

Best,
sam