Re: Possible regressions with trunk autoconf (vs 2.71)

From: Arsen Arsenović
Subject: Re: Possible regressions with trunk autoconf (vs 2.71)
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 16:57:38 +0100

Frederic Berat <fberat@redhat.com> writes:

> Some progress on this, it looks like, at least for libpng, there is at one
> place where the "Port AC_LANG_CALL" seems to be the culprit.
> Specifically, the "," in the C comment, is interpreted by M4 as argument
> split which in turn leads to the syntax error.

FWIW, I found this issue also while working on Gentoo, and I think the
solution is to fix upstreams (and possibly add more commas so that this
gets detected that much more often ;).  I haven't looked at your exact
examples (low on time right now), but instances I looked at were always
underquoting in the (now broken) configure scripts, so I'm not inclined
to assume this is an autotools regression yet, though I'm unsure whether
the maintainers would classify it as such.

Hopefully this issue is not too frequent for that to become quickly
unsustainable, but I can't tell yet, I've only managed to send one patch
on this topic so far.

Have a wonderful evening.
--
Arsen Arsenović