dependency files not from stdout

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: dependency files not from stdout
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 12:19:15 -0500

(accidently sent this to autoconf list, sorry!)
I am trying to add support for dependency files
that are not sent to standard out.  IBM's xl* compilers
create dependency information in a file "*.u" with the
-M option.  The output looks much like what SGI
compilers produce.  Since it is not sent to stdout,
the file would have to be copied to $tmpdepfile
and then edited with "tr" like the SGI ouput is.
Q1:
Is it possible to do this in the current depmod framework?
(I think it is, but I'm not sure what the issues from
other scripts like libtool are)
Q2:
How is $depmode set?

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center