Re: PATCH: patsubst support

From: Alex Hornby
Subject: Re: PATCH: patsubst support
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:01:46 +0100 (BST)

Akim Demaille writes:

 > Sorry, I'm confused, and the documentation snippet didn't really
 > enlighten me :(

Hi Akim,

The reasoning was fairly tortured :)

To document the patsubst internal change I had to invent a contrived
example so that the user could see the expansion. That example has
problems...

There are two possible solutions:

* document patsubst in the context of the user dep files patch, where
  the behavour is truly static.

* patsubst expand variables before they hit Makefile.in. (enabled by
  an option to protect people (e.g. myself) who already abuse Automake
  by passing through patsubst expressions).

>From your reaction, I suspect the second might be the better
solution. Unfortunately it is more work...

Cheers,
Alex.