Re: How to install "config.h"

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: How to install "config.h"
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:22:02 -0500

Ossama Othman wrote:

> Hi Alexandre,
>
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 07:13:28PM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> > If you really want to have it installed, don't call it `config.h', or
> > at least install it in include/<your-package-name>.  To accomplish
> > that, use:
> >
> > pkginclude_HEADERS = config.h ...
> >
> > And use `#include <your-package-name/config.h>' in all other headers
> > that include it.
>
> Ah!  Good call Alexandre!  Robert, please ignore my last post.
> Installing config.h in /usr/local/include, for example, would be
> obviously be bad idea. :-)
>
> BTW, I do exactly what Alexandre suggests in some of my own packages.
> It works out quite nicely.
>
> -Ossama

In my case I need to support several platforms in the same directory
tree,
not because I think this is a good idea, but I can't change the
package's
current framework.
So in my case users are encouraged to use NFS (or similar) for
installing
multiple architectures in the same directory tree.  i.e.:
$(prefix) = $(srcdir)/`uname`
That way users do not have to copy the 12,000 header files, yes that is
the right number, not a typo, and they aren't small either.
(I guess I'm more ambitious than wise.)
So to use the library users would add
-I$(prefix)/`uname` (for config.h) and -I$(prefix)/../inc (for the other
12,000)
to compile lines and -L$(prefix)/lib to link lines.
So you may think this is a train wreck, but it is better than
the csh scripts that are currently distributed -- no joke, csh!
With that said, is
pkginclude_HEADERS = config.h
a reasonable solution?

--
Robert Boehne       Very tired Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center