Re: How to install "config.h"

From: Ossama Othman
Subject: Re: How to install "config.h"
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:26:41 -0800

Hi Assar,

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 01:40:30AM +0100, Assar Westerlund wrote:
> I would agree with Gary here that the symptom is installing the
> config.h (or whatever it's called).  The problem is that the interface
> exported from the library should not depend on the parameters found
> out by configure.

Yes!  I certainly do agree with you on this point.  However, sometimes
this can't be avoided in the case of inlined functions (e.g. C++).  It
isn't always feasible, particularly in terms of performance, to always
keep function implementations hidden within the library.  One could
argue that the inlined functions shouldn't depend on the output of
configure.  On that point, I would agree.  If you had a solution for
this problem then I'd be eternally grateful! :-)

-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <address@hidden>
Distributed Object Computing Laboratory, Univ. of California at Irvine