Re: How to install "config.h"

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: How to install "config.h"
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:21:29 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Simon Richter wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>
> > If we should not be installing config.h files, then it would be
> > beneficial for Automake (or Autoconf) to support an automated way to
> > provide the benefits of config.h, but in a better form.
>
> How about the bin/<package>-config approach: configure creates a script
> that outputs gcc options necessary for compiling (-L, -R and -l). GTK uses
> this, and I've found it useful (along with providing an aclocal file).

We provide a config program like this for our package, but this
approach has flaws which are much more significant than the config.h
problem.  As soon as you need to obtain options from more than one
-config script, it is not clear what order the options should be
expressed in, or if they are mutually compatible at all. Many of the
options will be the same, and show up as duplicates.  Another problem
is that the user must then know how to use the script to configure or
build their package.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden