Targets using automake

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: Targets using automake
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 10:11:15 -0500

Automake seems to be creating targets by default that make use of
automake whether or not the user has automake installed.  Timestamps
seem to get fouled up in distribution often enough that I think this is
very bad from a maintenance viewpoint (more questions to answer) and
very rude to users.

Is there some way to place any targets which make use of automake inside
a conditional?  i.e. I want the fact that configure discovers that
automake is not installed to disable the use of automake in any targets
which might use them.  In this case that seems to mean the distdir
& Makefile.in targets.  I would actually only like the portion of the
distdir target that recalls automake inside the conditional since
I would like the target to work otherwise.

This could be a very useful tool but without this feature I cannot use
it in good conscience.

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )