Re: rpath command?

From: Steve Robbins
Subject: Re: rpath command?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:03:33 -0500 (EST)

On 27 Nov 2000, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> Alexandre> automake should define it to `$(LIBTOOL) $(CC/CXX)...'.
> Alexandre> Maybe it only does this when there is at least one source
> Alexandre> file to compile in the current directory?
>
> > Yeah, that's how it works.  I realize this is less than good.  Can you
> > suggest how it ought to work?
>
> I think the current behavior is fine, since it is indeed invalid to
> create a library or libtool archive out of no source files.  However,
> we might output a warning (or even an error) if we find a request to
> create a library out of no source files.

I'm not so sure about this.  Unless the CVS versions of the tools have
changed things, the current behaviour makes it impossible to create a
library consisting only of sources in subdirectories.  What I would like
to do is:

        lib_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la

        libfoo_la_LIBADD = \
                $(top_builddir)/a/adummy.la \
                $(top_builddir)/b/bdummy.la \
                $(top_builddir)/c/cdummy.la \
                $(top_builddir)/d/ddummy.la

but this fails, so I generally add:

        libfoo_la_SOURCES = dummy.c
        dummy.c:
                touch dummy.c

To me, the last bit seems like a workaround for a bug.  Is it impossible
to support building libraries out of ONLY other libraries?

-S