Re: [Fwd: --add-missing]

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [Fwd: --add-missing]
Date: 17 Dec 2000 16:29:14 -0700

>> Me too.  But the point is that GNU packages are supposed to ship
>> with texinfo.tex.

Derek> Is there a web page somewhere with this standard on it?  I
Derek> browsed briefly but I haven't been able to locate one.

It is in the GNU Coding Standards.  I know these are on the web but
offhand I don't know where.  Here is the text from the standard:

       Include in your distribution a copy of the `texinfo.tex' you used to
    test print any `*.texinfo' or `*.texi' files.

For me standards.info appears in /usr/info/.

>> I'm reluctant to rely on kpsewhich.  What if we changed makeinfo to
>> have an option to print the path to texinfo.tex?

Derek> What's the difference?  Who maintains makeinfo?

makeinfo is a GNU program.  Offhand I don't know who maintains it.

Derek> The makeinfo on my system seems to have been installed with my
Derek> texinfo package anyhow, the same place kpsewhich came from.

For me, kpsewhich is from the tetex package.  I'm fairly sure it isn't
part of GNU texinfo.

Derek> Also, this still doesn't solve my problem.  My problem stems
Derek> from the fact that 'texi2dvi' and 'texi2dvi --pdf' will use
Derek> find two different texinfo.tex files and the two files don't
Derek> appear to be compatibile - unless there is a texinfo.tex in the
Derek> local directory ('.'), in which case both calls to 'texi2dvi'
Derek> will use './texinfo.tex' and one call will produce garbage
Derek> rather than readable output.

Shouldn't `make dvi' do the right thing already here?

Tom