Re: problem compiling on DEC with dependencies (cxx -M)

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: problem compiling on DEC with dependencies (cxx -M)
Date: 20 Dec 2000 19:35:38 -0700

>>>>> "Patrick" == Patrick Guio <address@hidden> writes:

Patrick> I am not sure if this is to be adressed to libtool or maybe
Patrick> automake since the problem might come from depcom...  Anyway
Patrick> I am trying to build a c++ library using libtool on a
Patrick> alphaev6-dec-osf5.0 using cxx.

Did you ever get a response to this?

Patrick> source='parser.cpp' object='libutilities_la-parser.lo' libtool=yes \
Patrick> depfile='.deps/libutilities_la-parser.Plo'
Patrick> tmpdepfile='.deps/libutilities_la-parser.TPlo' \
Patrick> depmode=dashmstdout /bin/ksh ../depcomp \
Patrick> [ ... ]

Patrick> The problem is that when specifying -M with cxx even though
Patrick> you put also the options -c -o $obj you don't create the .o
Patrick> file.  And it looks like that the .o is removed first and
Patrick> then the cxx -M is run without running again cxx alone,
Patrick> therefore the .o is not created.

I imagine this is a bug in depcomp and not in libtool.  depcomp is
responsible for invoking the compiler twice -- once with `-M' and once
without.

However when I look at the `dashmstdout' case in depcomp, it looks
like it does the right thing to me.

Could you try your hand at debugging it?

Tom