Re: [suggestion] new target GTAGS.

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [suggestion] new target GTAGS.
Date: 20 Dec 2000 23:27:47 -0700

>> How about adding new target 'GTAGS' that means GLOBAL's tag to
>> automake?

I'm not against doing this.  Since GTAGS is a GNU program, and one of
automake's goals is to work well with other GNU programs, it seems
like a reasonable idea.

>> GNU GLOBAL <http://www.gnu.org/software/global/global.html> is a
>> source code tag system that works the same way across diverse
>> environments. It supports C, C++, Yacc and Java source code.

I'm curious: what advantage does global give over etags or idutils?

>> GTAGS:
>>      gtags -i $(GTAGS_ARGS)

Note that this will be run in the build tree.

You indicate elsewhere that it should be run in the source tree.  But
that is wrong for automake (there are some special exceptions, but
this isn't one).

Does gtags have an option so that it can be run in one directory but
put its output files in another?

Tom