Re: echoing command lines

From: William M. Perry
Subject: Re: echoing command lines
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:02:06 -0500

Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden> writes:

> On Jan 14, 2001, Ben Elliston <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Is there a workaround?
>
> LIBTOOL="/path/to/libtool --silent"
>
> Perhaps automake should introduce support for LTFLAGS?

Well, the most annoying thing about this is that if I just do a normal
'make', I want to see them, but if I do a 'make -s' I want it to be
silent.  I get around this in my makefiles by doing:

ifneq (,$(findstring s,$(MAKEFLAGS)))
LIBTOOL+= --quiet
endif

But this is in our corporate environment, where GNU make is required.  For
most people they can't just dictate this type of thing.

-Bill P.