VPATH elimination by configure

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: VPATH elimination by configure
Date: 17 Jan 2001 11:17:00 +0100

It seems to me that Autoconf's job is not to remove unportable code
written by the user, so it seems wrong to have it remove VPATH
definitions from Makefiles.  Historically I'm sure it was useful, in a
previous century, in a previous millennium.  Today, I tend to think
automake should *warn* when it sees VPATH in a Makefile.am, and
autoconf should shut up and do nothing.

Comments?

(This, of course, is totally unrelated with the possible existence of
tests for VPATH support, which is fully under Autoconf's natural
responsibility).