Re: VPATH elimination by configure

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: VPATH elimination by configure
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:02:17 +0100

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 11:17:00AM +0100, Akim Demaille wrote:
: It seems to me that Autoconf's job is not to remove unportable code
: written by the user, so it seems wrong to have it remove VPATH
: definitions from Makefiles.  Historically I'm sure it was useful, in a
: previous century, in a previous millennium.  Today, I tend to think
: automake should *warn* when it sees VPATH in a Makefile.am, and
: autoconf should shut up and do nothing.
:
: Comments?

I'm all for this if the user can silence the warning by doing something
with a variable setting in the Makefile.am in case he knows what he is
doing.

  Lars J
--
Innovation is one percent inspiration and ninetynine percent perspiration,
and in my case; twice that...  -- Norville Barnes, `The Hudsucker Proxy'