Re: PATCH: make install-strip in cross-compilation environments

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: PATCH: make install-strip in cross-compilation environments
Date: 21 Jan 2001 14:43:40 -0700

>>>>> "adl" == Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> writes:

adl> Can someone explain me the comment before the install-strip
adl> rule: "We can't just set INSTALL_PROGRAM because that might be a
adl> relative path".  This comment was added with the following
adl> ChangeLog entry:

If there is no vendor install program, autoconf will choose
install-sh.  The path to install-sh might be a relative path, because
$srcdir might be relative.  However if we set INSTALL_PROGRAM and
invoke $(MAKE), the new value will be passed to subdir Makefiles --
where it will be wrong.

adl> I'm assuming it is now obsolete, but maybe I'm plain wrong.
adl> You'll tell me.

I'm afraid it is still an issue.  Fixing it might be as simple as
doing something like:

        install=`cd $(top_builddir) && pwd`/$(install_sh)

... but I just thought that up and I'm not entirely positive.

adl> 2001-01-20  Alexandre Duret-Lutz  <address@hidden>

adl>    `install -s' does not work on cross-compiled programs.  Therefore,
adl>    when configuring a package for cross-compilation, check for some
adl>    suitable `strip' and arrange the Makefiles so that `install-strip'
adl>    will run `install-sh' with `STRIPPROG' set to the detected `strip'.

One nit: comments like this should go in the code, not in the
ChangeLog.

In order to install a patch of this size I'll definitely need
paperwork from you.  Unfortunately the FSF has changed the procedure
recently, and I still don't know the new method.  It will be a few
days until I dig up the new procedure and get the information to you
:-(.  (Unless you've already filled it out and I've simply forgotten,
which is a definite possibility.)

Tom