RE: More an autopackage

From: Bernard Dautrevaux
Subject: RE: More an autopackage
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:13:45 +0100

I think this need to depend on the configure-generated Makefile will have a
very constraining effect on the implementation language: this precludes
using ANYTHING that's not installed standard on any of the expected target
OSes... That's exactly why configure generates sh-scripts and why libtool IS
a shell script.

You can use GNU m4 or PERL in autoconf and automake, as these are
maintainer-only tools. If autopackage is a package-installer tool (i.e. a
native package front-end) the choice of implementation language is almost
restricted to "/bin/sh" or "/bin/sh" and probably "/bin/sh" :-)

Just a thought, hoping to be wrong,

        Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingenierie