Re: More an autopackage

From: Michael Sweet
Subject: Re: More an autopackage
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:02:26 -0500

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2001, Michael Sweet <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > What it doesn't do (yet) is provide a tool to automate the creation
> > of the list file.
>
> make install DESTDIR=/tmp/install
> find /tmp/install/. ! -name . -print | sed 's,^/tmp/install,,'
> rm -rf /tmp/install

This isn't an improvement over the existing RPM an dpkg paradigm;
installing all files to a temporary directory wastes disk space
(please, disk space is cheap but how many of us have unlimited space)
and precious build/development time.

If we could rely on have a DSO preload feature available, then a
clever wrapper could be created that monitors and traps file and
directory operations to create the list file.  That would eliminate
the disk space and time overhead and would get rid of the need to
have a "DESTDIR" redirection...

Boy, the crazy ideas you get when you are tired... :)

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  address@hidden