Re: More an autopackage

From: Ganesan Rajagopal
Subject: Re: More an autopackage
Date: 24 Jan 2001 09:35:34 +0530

> Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 22, 2001, Michael Sweet <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > What it doesn't do (yet) is provide a tool to automate the creation
>> > of the list file.
>>
>> make install DESTDIR=/tmp/install
>> find /tmp/install/. ! -name . -print | sed 's,^/tmp/install,,'
>> rm -rf /tmp/install

This is exactly what I had in mind in combination with package specific
install (i.e. make install-package-foo, make install-package-foolib etc.

> This isn't an improvement over the existing RPM an dpkg paradigm;
> installing all files to a temporary directory wastes disk space
> (please, disk space is cheap but how many of us have unlimited space)
> and precious build/development time.

You normally *have* to package only installed binaries, especially with
libtool libraries.

Ganesan

--
R. Ganesan (address@hidden)       | Ph: 91-80-5721856 Ext: 2149
Novell India Development Center.       | #include <std_disclaimer.h>