Re: Automake shooting in its foot

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: Automake shooting in its foot
Date: 24 Jan 2001 13:49:44 -0200

On Jan 24, 2001, Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:

>>>>>> "Alexandre" == Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden> writes:

Alexandre> In which case, we might attempt to match pro/epi in the
Alexandre> defn and insert the hooks before/after the actual DEFUN,
Alexandre> i.e., between pro and epi.

> Oh, just that?  ;)

I have no idea whether it's hard to do.

Worst case, we can break AC_DEFUNed macros into two macros, one with
the actual name, that contains the prologue and the epilogue and,
between them, an invocation of another macro, containing the actual
code.  Then, hooking something before or after a pro/epi macro would
be just a matter of pre/appending the code to this other macro.

> I understand the goal was noble and user oriented.  But I find it
> extremely dangerous.

Point taken.  We have to be careful not to break it.  So far, it's
worked moderately well.  The good thing is that, when they break,
people notice it immediately.

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}