Re: Uppercasing files

From: Emiliano
Subject: Re: Uppercasing files
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:15:16 +0100

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Emile> I'm trying to create an automake file that has rules to
> Emile> uppercase files.  For example I have something.ext and I want
> Emile> it to create a copy SOMETHING.EXT. I tried with this:
>
> Emile> pkgdata_DATA = SOMETHING.EXT OTHER.EXT
> Emile> CLEANFILES = $(pkgdata_DATA)
> Emile> %.EXT : %.ext
> Emile>  cp -f $< `echo $< | tr a-z A-Z`
>
> Emile> but that doesn't work since no file SOMETHING.ext exists. How
> Emile> so I go about this?
>
> Write explicit rules.
>
> SOMETHING.EXT: something.ext

Yes, but I'd rather not if it can be avoided. There are quite a number
of them
and it impacts readability, plus there's more to keep consistent
manually (after
the uppercasing other ops are done on the files.

At the moment I've used a default rule, which works, but doesn't handle
dependancy:

.DEFAULT:
   cp -f `echo $(basename $@) | tr [:upper:] [:lower:]`.m $(basename
$@).m