Re: 10-check-am.patch

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: 10-check-am.patch
Date: 31 Jan 2001 14:36:02 +0100

>>>>> "Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:
Akim> It means that for instance we could have

Akim> a b c: d e f

Akim> in a .am file, and have file_contents_with_transform (provided
Akim> we taught it that a, b and c are special targets) push @a, @b,
Akim> @c the list of d, e and f.

Tom> Do you mean something like doing this for install, uninstall
Tom> targets, and the like?

Tom> That would be fine with me.  However for non-trivial targets
Tom> sometimes weird special handling is required.

Akim> Now my patch is only an approximation of this, since it catches
Akim> specifically just .PHONY.  How to extend it?

Tom> Or do it by matching against the names of the targets.  There are
Tom> probably a small number of targets like this, so we could handle
Tom> it via a list of regexps.

Tom> Or do I misunderstand?  Your explanation is a bit abstract.
Tom> Maybe some more concrete examples would help.

My `plan' is what I implemented in the patch named
factored-dependencies.

Basically, here is how subdirs.am looks now:

| .PHONY: all-recursive install-data-recursive install-exec-recursive \
| installdirs-recursive install-recursive uninstall-recursive \
| @INSTALLINFO@ check-recursive installcheck-recursive info-recursive \
| dvi-recursive
|
| all-recursive install-data-recursive install-exec-recursive \
| installdirs-recursive install-recursive uninstall-recursive @INSTALLINFO@ \
| check-recursive installcheck-recursive info-recursive dvi-recursive:
|         @set fnord $(MAKEFLAGS); amf=$$2; \
|         dot_seen=no; \
|         target=`echo $@ | sed s/-recursive//`; \
|         list='$(SUBDIRS)'; for subdir in $$list; do \

the first part being what's now possible.  We could have added other
targets than `.PHONY'.  My goal was trying to have *.am files behaves
like actual Makefiles, obeying the same rules, instead of having to
code into automake.in.