Re: 15-file-contents-paragraph.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 15-file-contents-paragraph.patch
Date: 31 Jan 2001 14:51:20 -0700

Akim> My goal was to follow strictly the syntax of Make so that people
Akim> don't have several syntaxes to learn, and more than one way to
Akim> shoot in their foot.

Automake doesn't really support make syntax, it just pretends to.
There are some differences.  For instance a macro definition can't
begin with whitespace in automake, but it can with make.

Fixing this would be good, but I'd rather not do it for this release.
The reason is that we don't know what this change would break.  There
are a lot of Makefile.am's out there, and although the test suite
looks large it really only tests a very small part of automake's
functionality.

Tom