Re: amtraces

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: Re: amtraces
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 11:43:40 -0500

"Derek R. Price" wrote:

> > > +    # This macro handles several different things.
> > > +    AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE =>
> > > +     sub { $seen_make_set = $_[0];
> > > +           $seen_arg_prog = $_[0];
> > > +           $seen_prog_install = $_[0];
> > > +           $package_version = $_[3];
> > > +           $package_version_line = (split /:/, $_[0])[2];
> > > +           $seen_init_automake = $_[0];
> > > +         },
> >
> > Not good: --trace looks inside, you don't need to know how
> > AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is written and what it does.  And now the proper
> > means to set the name/version of a package is via AC_INIT, more
> > precisely tracing _AC_INIT_PACKAGE.  Note that we can introduce a
> > macro just to ask for the value of an Autoconf macro:
>
> I will examine this more closely.  The INSTALL and MAKE_SET stuff I removed
> already.

Ok, I've removed everything except the package_version & seen_init_automake
stuff.  The package_version
can move to the _AC_TRACE section as soon as it's complete.  For now I'm moving
it to AC_INIT.

I also put a check into init.m4 to warn about obsolescence if PACKAGE &/or
VERSION is already set at
configure time.  Is this the correct approach?  If so, I'll send the patch on
later.

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )