Re: 26-makesort.patch

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: 26-makesort.patch
Date: 05 Feb 2001 10:17:09 +0100

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> Akim> This message introduces makesort.pl which is quite handy when you
> Akim> change to much the layout of Makefiles, just like my previous patch
> Akim> does: it becomes nearly impossible to just diff.
>
> Ok.

Err, actually I didn't mean to name this `.patch', but if you want to
include it in Automake, then fine with me.

> This needs a ChangeLog entry.  And makesort.pl needs to be added to
> Makefile.am so it ends up in the distribution.

I just meant to send it if people want to improve it or use it to
check their own changes :)

> I notice this duplicates code in automake.in.  Someday we have to
> split it up into pieces.

makesort.pl was an excellent test bed for Makefile parsing, and it's
actually the converse: Automake has inherited code from makesort.pl
(which name is atrocious btw).

My ultimate goal is to have a single routine to load a .am file.  I
can't think of any valid reason to differentiate users' Makefile.am
and Automake's *.am files.

For instance, I find it quite annoying to have to know that Automake
knows the -local targets: the code of 25 makes it possible for users
to have just there own `clean:' target which will be appended to the
existing code.