Re: AM_INCLUDE is a bad name.

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: AM_INCLUDE is a bad name.
Date: 05 Feb 2001 13:30:28 -0700

>>>>> "Pavel" == Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> writes:

Pavel> I see that you are not using the latest and greatest Autoconf.

Nope.

Pavel> Names beginning with AM_ are reserved for
Pavel> macros. Autoconf-2.49c will not allow such names in configure.

Hmm.

Pavel> That's why many tests are failing again - AM_INCLUDE is not a
Pavel> good name for a variable.

That plus another bug I fixed last night.  Running depcomp tests in a
subdir caused regressions, and against my own advice I didn't run
`make check'.  Sigh.

Pavel> How about renaming AM_INCLUDE to AMINCLUDE everywhere? The
Pavel> patch is attached. It fixes all tests.

What if instead we decide on a permanent naming scheme for automake
internal variables?  Then we can start moving towards that over time,
starting here.

What if instead we use `_AM_'?  Or `_am_'?

I'd like to also work out a naming scheme for internally generated
targets.  That way eventually it will be clear what people can rely on
and what they cannot.  Suggestions here are welcome.

Tom