Re: DIST_COMMON broke

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: DIST_COMMON broke
Date: 07 Feb 2001 14:19:10 -0700

>> This area still requires more work.  I think I know another case where
>> it can fail: suppose you do `AC_OUTPUT(subdir/foo)' where there is no
>> Makefile.am in subdir?  Then I think no rule to rebuild subdir/foo
>> will be generated.

Pavel> I would not call it a "failure" - if Automake doesn't control that
Pavel> directory then it shouldn't care.

We already handle this scenario for AC_CONFIG_HEADER.  I'm sure it is
much more common there.

Pavel> I don't like rules that rebuild something in a directory other
Pavel> than "."  and (in limited situations) $srcdir.

Why not?

Anyway I wrote a test for the weird case and checked it in.

I also checked in a fix for both the recent bugs in that area.  I'm
afraid I'm not entirely sure why my fix fixes distcommon.test :-(.

Tom