Re: AM 1.4 depend2.am: GNU cc/cpp dependency?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: AM 1.4 depend2.am: GNU cc/cpp dependency?
Date: 12 Feb 2001 14:22:47 -0700

>>>>> "Mike" == Mike Whitson <address@hidden> writes:

Mike> So, either I'm missing something here, or the depend2.am
Mike> distributed with automake 1.4 depends on having a GNU C
Mike> preprocessor to generate dependency information:

It does.

The automatic dependency tracking in 1.4 relies on gcc and GNU make.

If you don't use those then you have to disable dependency tracking.

Dependency tracking is automatically disabled for recipients of a
distribution made with "make dist".

Mike> Am I missing something obvious, or was this simply an oversight?
Mike> It seems like it should be possible to conditionalize this
Mike> behaviour on the result of the autoconf gcc test, althought I
Mike> confess that I haven't had the time to prepare a proposed patch.

The cvs automake, and automake 1.4b (the current prerelease), both
have a new implementation of dependency tracking which we believe is
portable.

Tom