Re: Bug with target specific CFLAGS

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Bug with target specific CFLAGS
Date: 14 Feb 2001 19:59:47 -0700

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Boulton <address@hidden> writes:

Richard> Makefile:1344: warning: overriding commands for target
Richard> `libgst_la-gstparse.lo'
Richard> Makefile:966: warning: ignoring old commands for target
Richard> `libgst_la-gstparse.lo'

Thanks for the report.

Richard> I've got a minimal example, in the form of a test case, which
Richard> I attach to this message.

Thanks.  I'm checking this in.

Richard> PPS: It would also be helpful if we could add specific flags
Richard> _after_ the standard CFLAGS - the current implementation adds
Richard> them before.  We need the -O2 to be at the end of the flags
Richard> line, and I have therefore to clear the default CFLAGS and
Richard> set specific ones for both of my targets, viz:

For some reason I thought the intent was to let the per-file CFLAGS
override the default CFLAGS.  But maybe I misremember.

Ok, I remember now.  CFLAGS is a *user* variable so we have to support
it everywhere.  AM_CFLAGS is what you should use via configure or
whatever.  AM_CFLAGS isn't passed to a compilation that has per-target
CFLAGS.

Tom